A sophisticated criminal cyber-attack has had a major impact on the way SEPA works. We are working through all the services that we provide to understand what we need to do in the short and longer term to restore services. We are approaching this work with a sense of urgency.
- Check the service status
- Approach to Delivery of Services Until June 2021
- Information about the cyber-attack
Members of the public can:
- Visit our website.
- Report pollution or environmental incidents.
- Call SEPA's 24 Hour Pollution Hotline on 0800 80 70 60.
- For other enquiries, contact us using the online form.
Paterson’s of Greenoakhill Ltd
SEPA acknowledges the impact odour can have on communities, particularly during the COVID-19 lockdown.
We take complaints of odour from Paterson’s of Greenoakhill Ltd’s (Patersons) landfill at Broomhouse seriously and are actively working with the operator to address the issues and secure compliance.
We have developed this page to share details of SEPA’s ongoing regulatory activities and progress at the site with residents affected by the odour.
March 2021 Update
We are currently:
- Engaging with the operator on a weekly basis.
- Following up complaints with Patersons, requesting it assesses current onsite conditions for any faults.
- At this time we will be unable to provide a personal response to each complainant; instead we will post updates on this webpage.
- Undertaking proactive and reactive odour assessments of the affected areas.
- Encouraging regular engagement between Patersons and the surrounding community until works are completed and when any future works are scheduled.
Ongoing works to reduce odour:
- SEPA continues to receive complaints in relations to odour from Patersons with over 150 complaints received so far in 2021.
- A Final Warning Letter was served by SEPA at the end of November 2020, which required Patersons to detail how it would tackle odours coming from the site. In response Patersons submitted an action plan which it is implementing as detailed below.
- An odour neutraliser unit has been placed in the north east corner of the site. This is situated next to the current waste deposit area and is running during operational hours to have the most effect.
- Low permeability soil cover has been placed over the uncapped areas, acting as a barrier to minimise unpleasant odours being released.
- 20 temporary gas collection wells have been installed and are operational; an interim measure to collect landfill gas from the uncapped area.
- 13 permanent gas collection wells have been installed, although yet to be operational until the capping works are complete.
- Capping works, which prevent the entry of water such as rain and snow and the escape of gas, odour and other fugitive emissions, has been delayed due to cold and wet weather during Jan/Feb.
- Capping works are now due to commence in March and scheduled to be completed in April.
As a statutory consultee in the planning system, SEPA has registered an Objection in Principle to the application to increase overall height and amend site contours within the landfill.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I report a pollution incident?
- Report Pollution or environmental incidents
- Call SEPA’s 24 Hour Pollution Hotline on 0800 80 70 60
- For other enquiries, contact SEPA using the online form.
Contact SEPA as soon as you become aware of a potential pollution incident so we can begin investigations early. Provide as much information as you can, including the location and any relevant details.
If the complaint is related to odour, please be as descriptive as possible, so that we can try and ascertain where it may be coming from. This includes details such as the time you detected the odour, where you were and what it smelled like.
Can SEPA provide feedback on investigations into reported pollution incidents?
We will provide updates via this page when new information becomes available and when interim measures to reduce the odour impact have been implemented.
However, we must be careful not to provide unsubstantiated details or prejudice any enforcement action we may take.