You can apply for a licence, exemption, registration or permit in a number of ways.
Method 1 - Online applications
Online applications can be made for the following:
- non-aerial herbicide use near or by a watercourse
- non fee paying waste exemptions
- professional collector and transporter of waste
- registration/renewal as a carrier, broker or carrier/broker of controlled waste
Due to essential maintenance of our application system Registration of Point Source Discharges (including septic tanks), Engineering Discharge activities and Abstraction Discharge activities is not currently available. Click here for further information.
Method 2 - Paper applications
You can also apply by email or post by downloading and completing the relevant application form. The forms must be completed and signed, then submitted with payment and/or receipt for payment. Once payment has been made you can submit your application form and receipt by email.
There are various ways you can pay for your application when not completing it online:
- Send a cheque with the paper application.
- Complete the payment through our web payment facilityand attach the reference number to your application form.
- Pay by BACS or bank transfer: you must attach proof of payment to your application
- Request in writing that we contact you to take a payment over the phone by debit or credit card at the time of applying.
Payment alone does not mean you have submitted an application. Using this method does not attract the fees described as 'Online' in our fee documentation as these fees only apply to method 1 above. Your application will be rejected if it is received with no payment and no confirmation of payment or request for contact is supplied with your paperwork. Please attach any supporting documentation (in electronic format e.g. .doc, .pdf) up to max of 18mb. If your supporting documentation is larger than this, or in non-electronic format, this should be posted to your nearest SEPA registry and NOT attached to your e-application.
Guidance: this explains how the scheme works
The forms, guidance and charging information for each regulated activity are grouped into the following categories:
- Pollution Prevention and Control (PPC)
- Radioactive substances (RSA)
- Waste management (WM/WCR/WML/WMX)
- Water - Controlled Activities Regulations (CAR)
- Fee waiver
Application Charge Calculator
The Application charge calculator allows you to search for the correct application charge for a regulated site. If you have more than one activity on the site then the tool will apply the discounts. You can also use it to search for activity component charges. We expect to have an annual charge calculator available soon.
|Guidance documentation||Application forms||Fee documentation|
Modular application for authorisations & unsealed registrations:
Section 1: General information
Section 2: Unsealed source registration
Section 3: Radioactive waste characterisation, accumulation and disposal
Section 4: Accumulation and treatment of radioactive waste
Section 5: Liquid radioactive waste disposals
Section 6: Gaseous radioactive waste disposals
Section 7: Radioactive waste disposal by transfer to another person
Section 8: Radioactive waste disposals to the offshore environment
S7 & S10 sealed source application form:
Environmental Regulation (Scotland) Charging Scheme 2016 -Bands B and C
|Guidance document||Application forms||Fee documentation|
|Environmental Regulation (Scotland) Charging Scheme 2016 guidance||Application to reduce charges: mothballed or inactive activities||Environmental Regulation (Scotland) Charging Scheme 2016|