A sophisticated criminal cyber-attack has had a major impact on the way SEPA works. We are working through all the services that we provide to understand what we need to do in the short and longer term to restore services. We are approaching this work with a sense of urgency.
- Check the service status
- Approach to Delivery of Services Until June 2021
- Information about the cyber-attack
Service status update 26 February 2021: Permitting
What are we able to do now?
We are currently unable to receive, verify or determine applications for Waste Management Licences, Simple Waste Exemptions, Controlled Activities in the Water Environment, including registration of new private sewage systems, and PPC Part A & B. Please do not submit any application or contact us unless you require authorisation within the next three weeks.
- The exceptions to this are existing private sewage treatment systems (septic tanks); Waste Carrier Licences; Complex Waste Management Exemptions; and Applications under Environmental Authorisations (Scotland) Regulations (EASR) and the Radioactive Substances Act 1993.
What should you do now?
- Please do not submit any applications at this time and check regular updates.
- Contact us if your authorisation is required urgently within the next three weeks.
Next update: 5 March 2021
Do I need an authorisation?
Some activities carried out by business or industry can, potentially, be harmful to environment.
As Scotland’s principal environmental regulator, we issue a range of authorisations designed to control activities that could lead to pollution or environmental damage.
This section of our website will help you find out if your activity requires a licence or other authorisation.
- Do I need any authorisation?
- How do I find out what authorisation my activity requires?
- Non-licenced and exempt activities
Authorisations are managed and regulated according to the nature of your activity.
You must contact us ito discuss your activity before preparing and submitting any application.
What does your proposed activity involve?
There are a number of activities that do not require formal authorisation, however they can and often do require prior approval.
These activities include:
- SSAFO (Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel Oil) structure approval
- Herbicide application approvals
- Professional collector and transporter of waste
- Hazardous waste consignment
- Transfrontier shipment of waste (TFS)
We strongly advise that you contact us before undertaking any of these activities.
We can advise you and help you acquire approval, as well as undertake inspections or checks to ensure that your arrangements are in order before you start your activity.