A sophisticated criminal cyber-attack has had a major impact on the way SEPA works. We are working through all the services that we provide to understand what we need to do in the short and longer term to restore services. We are approaching this work with a sense of urgency.
- Check the service status
- Approach to Delivery of Services Until June 2021
- Information about the cyber-attack
Further information on how we are working with the waste industry, including information on special waste consignment notes, is available on our waste management regulatory approach webpage.
Service status update 6 May 2021: Special waste consignment notes
What are we able to do now?
- SEPA remains unable to sell pre-coded printed special waste consignment notes due to the reduced use of SEPA offices. However, the codes must still be purchased directly from SEPA.
What should you do now?
- It remains important to maintain compliant hazardous waste management.
- Follow the steps in our temporary regulatory position statement and purchase codes directly from SEPA by telephone on 07388 371621. (Please note there may be a delay in response, so please leave a message with your name and contact details and someone will return your call).
Next update: 14 May 2021
Special waste advisory notes
These notes give clarify the procedures for consigning special (hazardous) wastes and also, for certain types of waste, their potential hazardous properties and how they are classified in the EWC.
Their main purpose is to:
- assist the determination of whether a waste is special or not which may not be the case studied in the joint Agencies guidance: Guidance on the classification and assessment of waste. Technical guidance WM3 (5mb), complementing rather than replace this guidance;
- assist the preparation and completion of paperwork accompanying the movement of special (hazardous) wastes, for instance multiple collections (carrier's rounds) and landed ships' waste, complementing SEPA's Guide to Consigning Special Waste (1.19mb).
|SWAN/01||Fluorescent tubes / gas discharge lamps (30k)|
|SWAN/02||Waste electronic and electrical equipment (WEEE) (52k)|
|SWAN/03||Mineral fibres (other than asbestos) (35k)|
|SWAN/06||Adhesives and sealants (40k)|
|SWAN/12||Asbestos contaminated waste (30k)|
Please refer to SEPA's Guide to Consigning Special Waste for information relating to the below SWAN topics:
- SWAN/07: Movements Within the Same Site
- SWAN/08: Landed Ships’ Waste
- SWAN/09: Intra Group Movements
- SWAN/10: Island Movements
- SWAN/11: Extended Carrier’s Rounds
- SWAN/13: Cancelled and Unused Consignment Notes
- SWAN/14: Successions