A sophisticated criminal cyber-attack has had a major impact on the way SEPA works. We are working through all the services that we provide to understand what we need to do in the short and longer term to restore services. We are approaching this work with a sense of urgency.
Further information on how we are working with the waste industry, including information on special waste consignment notes, is available on our waste management regulatory approach webpage.
Service status update: Special waste consignment notes
What are we able to do now?
SEPA remains unable to sell pre-coded printed special waste consignment notes due to the reduced use of SEPA offices. However, the codes must still be purchased directly from SEPA.
What should you do now?
It remains important to maintain compliant hazardous waste management.
Further details on how to use SWCNs during COVID-19 are available in this temporary regulatory position statement.
You can purchase codes directly from SEPA though our website: https://webpayments.sepa.org.uk/
SWCN codes will be issued alongside your receipt. If you require SC codes for extended carrier rounds or landings of offshore waste, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Special waste advisory notes
These notes give clarify the procedures for consigning special (hazardous) wastes and also, for certain types of waste, their potential hazardous properties and how they are classified in the EWC.
Their main purpose is to:
- assist the determination of whether a waste is special or not which may not be the case studied in the joint Agencies guidance: Guidance on the classification and assessment of waste. Technical guidance WM3 (5mb), complementing rather than replace this guidance;
- assist the preparation and completion of paperwork accompanying the movement of special (hazardous) wastes, for instance multiple collections (carrier's rounds) and landed ships' waste, complementing SEPA's Guide to Consigning Special Waste (1.19mb).
|SWAN/01||Fluorescent tubes / gas discharge lamps (30k)|
|SWAN/02||Waste electronic and electrical equipment (WEEE) (52k)|
|SWAN/03||Mineral fibres (other than asbestos) (35k)|
|SWAN/06||Adhesives and sealants (40k)|
|SWAN/12||Asbestos contaminated waste (30k)|
Please refer to SEPA's Guide to Consigning Special Waste for information relating to the below SWAN topics:
- SWAN/07: Movements Within the Same Site
- SWAN/08: Landed Ships’ Waste
- SWAN/09: Intra Group Movements
- SWAN/10: Island Movements
- SWAN/11: Extended Carrier’s Rounds
- SWAN/13: Cancelled and Unused Consignment Notes
- SWAN/14: Successions