Submit a radioactive substances notification
You need to notify SEPA if you:
- manage any of the following radioactive sources:
- sealed sources in IAEA category 5 that exceed 200 kBq;
- tritium sources that exceed 20 GBq;
- electrodeposited sources
- manage a radioactive orphan source
- manage radioactive waste from an incident (note: this is a paper form)
You don't need to notify SEPA if the activity can be carried out under a permit or registration that you already hold.
There's no fee to make a notification.
You must submit separate notifications for each location.
Notifications for category 5 sealed sources, tritium sources and electrodeposited sources expire after 3 years. If at the end of the 3-year period you still hold these sources, you will need to submit a new Notification at, or as close to, the date the existing Notification expires. Notifications cannot be ‘renewed’, the reference number for the existing Notification no longer applies once it has reached the expiry date and therefore a new Notification with a new reference number is required.
If you experience problems with the online Notifications form or don’t receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, please contact RSnotifications@sepa.org.uk